The Florida Outdoor Writers Association (FOWA) is accepting proposals from Florida based companies or individuals through August 20, 2022, for the duties associated with the position of executive director for the organization. The responsibilities for this designation is the overall management of the organization, and leading and directing the implementation of the organization’s philosophy, mission, and strategic goals and objectives. The FOWA executive director position reports to the board of directors and shall help coordinate with and carry out the decisions made by the organization’s board of directors to fulfill its function in governing the organization.
Job Title: Executive Director
Leadership & Management:
- Board Support – Advises and informs board in all facets of operation, including, but not limited to, governance, accountability, proper procedure conducive to a nonprofit association
- Program and Service Delivery – Oversees annual conference production, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services
- Fundraising (nonprofit specific) – Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources (including non-dues income), establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation
- Membership Recruitment and Retention – Works effectively to grow membership and retain members through positive communications and customer service
- Actively engages and energizes FOWA volunteers, board members, event committees, media members, partnering organizations, and funders
- Leads, coaches, develops, and retains the nonprofit’s high-performance; ensures effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluates program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Financial, Risk Management – Ability to assess budget concerns based on operational needs for Board approval and prudently manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations and industry best practice
- Community and Public Relations – Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive. Raise the visibility of the organization through the development and implementation of a sustainable marketing campaign geared to its various constituencies as well as the public. Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Management experience in non-profit, 501(c)(3) membership organizations
- Knowledge of national, traditional, and digital outdoor media and online influencers.
- Strong management and supervisory skills: ability to lead volunteers in achieving objectives, and manage a budget
- Experienced in the outdoor Corporate and Tourism industries
- Demonstrated proficiency in fundraising development and implementation
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of industry members and corporations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Action-oriented, and adaptable approach to business planning with the ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Proficient in the use of Adobe Image editing software, InDesign publishing (or like product), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel. Fluent with the CMS editor WordPress as well as various social media platforms.
The position of FOWA Executive Director (ED) is part time, functioning as an independent contractor to FOWA.
Please send resume to FOWA’s ED Search Committee, at email@example.com with the subject line marked FOWA ED Position, by August 20, 2022.
Through ever-improving our communication skills… to heighten the education of all outdoor participants in the areas of conservation, safety, participation and environmental issues.