Juniors Katrina Demerle and Maya Cameron led their respective classes during the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) 2021 Virtual Air Rifle Championships – a supplementary competition to the usual Regional Three-Position Championships.
Demerle, a precision competitor, has already achieved a series of stellar performances in 2021, like a gold medal win at the El Salvador Junior Airgun Gran Prix and a new National Record showing at the CMP’s Monthly Match in March
Likewise, Cameron recently earned the overall spot in the sporter division of the 2021 JROTC Virtual Championships – besting a field of 460 other talented juniors. Her team, Nation Ford High School of South Carolina, was also the leading sporter team in both the JROTC and CMP Virtual Championships in 2021. Granbury High School from Texas brought home the high precision team honor in each Virtual event.
The Virtual Championships were a postal-style, three-position air rifle competition, where athletes fired upon official targets from prone, standing and kneeling positions at their home ranges. Targets were then mailed to the CMP for scoring, with final results posted in April.
The Top 10 athletes from each class were awarded medals, along with the Top 3 sporter and precision teams. Those reaching qualifying scores in the Virtual Championship will move on to the in-person, shoulder-to-shoulder Nationals this summer.
The CMP National Championship is set for two separate dates: June 24-26 for sporter and July 17-19 for precision. As in years past, the National event will also include the National 3PAR Junior Olympic Championship. The competitions are set to be held simultaneously at the Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center in Ohio and the South CMP Competition Center in Alabama to allow for proper distancing within the range.
Here are the some of the award-winning performers of the 2021 CMP Virtual Championships.
- Katrina Demerle, 16, Fairfield Sportsmen’s Association, Ohio – 1190-94x
- Emma Rhode, 17, Ontelaunee Jr. Rifle Team, Pennsylvania – 1189-97x
- Natalie Perrin, 18, Grand Rapids Rifle & Pistol Club, Michigan – 1188-97x
- Scott Rockett, 18, Patriot Shooting Club of Virginia 4-H – 1187-97x
- Griffin Lake, 15, Ontelaunee Jr. Rifle Team, Pennsylvania – 1186-89x
- Parker Haydin, 17, Granbury MCJROTC High School, Texas – 1183-84x
- Emily Buck, 15, Shelby County Shooting Sports Association, Alabama – 1183-79x
- Emma Pereira, 17, Patriot Shooting Club of Virginia 4-H – 1182-83x
- Danielle Vigil, 17, Patriot Shooting Club of Virginia 4-H – 1181-82x
- Sarah Folsom, 17, of Granbury MCJROTC High School, Texas – 1179-85x
- Maya Cameron, 17, Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 1146-53x
- Kayla Kalenza, 17, Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 1127-50x
- Shelby Carr, 17, Guns R Us 4-H, Nebraska – 1115-44x
- Justin Merriman, 18, Pierre Junior Shooters, South Dakota – 1110-38x
- Alana Ruggiero, 17, Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 1109-49x
- Michael Driscoll, 18, Saint Thomas Academy, Minnesota – 1107-38x
- Kyle Orr, 16, Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 1106-40x
- Dylan Walden, 18, Clover High School, South Carolina – 1105-34x
- Trinity Condosta, 17, Cienega High School, Arizona – 1104-37x
- Ayden Wells, 17, Des Moines North MCJROTC High School, Iowa – 1103-39x
Top Sporter Teams:
- Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 4483-191x
- Zion Benton High School, Illinois – 4357-120x
- Clover High School, South Carolina – 4353-119x
Top Precision Teams:
- Granbury MCJROTC High School, Texas – 4702-326x
- Patriot Shooting Club of Virginia 4-H – 4702-325x
- Minnesota Centershots – 4699-307x
A complete list of results for the CMP Virtual Championships can be found on the CMP’s Competition Tracker page at https://ct.thecmp.org/CMPVirtualResults.
Learn more about the National Championship on the CMP website at https://thecmp.org/youth/national-three-position-air-rifle-championships/.
— By Ashley Brugnone, CMP Staff Writer
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearm safety and marksmanship training and to the promotion of marksmanship competition for citizens of the United States. For more information about the CMP and its programs, log onto www.TheCMP.org.