By Ashley Brugnone, CMP Writer
ANNISTON, Ala.; CAMP PERRY, Ohio – The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is happy to invite the public back to our North and South Competition Centers for air rifle and air pistol fun, with new protective practices in place for staff and guests.
The South Competition Center in Alabama and the Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center in Ohio will reopen Aug. 17, 2020.
Anyone is welcome to the ranges for practice or friendly competition on the firing line, though for the foreseeable future, air gun range access will be by appointment only. Guests will be allowed two-hour time slots, with no more than 25 firing points in use at a time.
New hours for the ranges offer daily, afternoon and evening opportunities. Hours will be Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. (EST) at the Gary Anderson Competition Center and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CST) at the South Competition Center. Tuesday, the ranges will be open 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. (EST) and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (CST).
Other measures to ensure social distancing and cleanliness for visitors include:
- Rifles disinfection between uses;
- Masks required while within the facility (can be taken off on firing line);
- Area disinfection by guests before and after use;
- Firing point disinfection by staff after use;
- Removal of bleachers normally placed within the ranges, with limited chairs available to parents/guardians;
- Parents/guardians not firing will be required to wear a mask at all times;
- Common Areas will be off limits;
- Classrooms will be off limits;
- Drinking Fountains will be closed;
- Changing Area within the restrooms will be closed; and
- Bathrooms will have limited stall availability.
To set up an appointment for your spot on the firing line, please call Catherine Green at 419-635-2141, ext. 704. Learn more about the CMP Competition Centers by visiting https://thecmp.org/ranges/cmp-competition-centers/.
About CMP Competition Centers:
Both the South Competition Center in Alabama and the Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center in Ohio are comprised of 80 firing points, powered by our electronic target system. Each firing point contains a personal monitor that instantly displays shot scores. LED screens above the firing points show scores in real-time for spectators to observe as well.
For competitors of a variety of disciplines, the South Competition Center includes the CMP South Store that is stocked to fulfill equipment and memorabilia needs. Open to the public, year-round, visitors of virtually any age and experience levels are welcome to try their hands at air rifle or air pistol shooting within the South air gun range. For more on the South Competition Center, visit http://thecmp.org/air/cmp-competition-centers/.
The Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center features authentic Olympic and other memorabilia from the career of celebrated American marksman, Gary Anderson. The facility is also open to the public all year long, with access to the air gun range for practice, competition or simple curiosity for the sport. For more about the Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center, visit http://thecmp.org/air/cmp-competition-centers/.
Find the CMP Competitions Centers on Facebook!
- Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center – https://www.facebook.com/CMPCompetitionCenterOH
- South Competition Center – https://www.facebook.com/CMPSouthRange
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearm safety and marksmanship training and to the promotion of marksmanship competition for citizens of the United States. For more information about the CMP and its programs, log onto www.TheCMP.org.